We have security features to reduce your risks against fraudulent activities.
SMS alerts will be sent to your registered mobile phone number for the following:
- First Card transaction
- Transactions above threshold amount
- One-time Password (OTP) for online purchases at participating 3-Domain Secure (3DS) merchants and for Apple Pay provisioning
Transactions above threshold amount
We will send to you a transaction notification alert for each transaction conducted which is above the threshold amount as prescribed by or otherwise agreed to by us and for each set up or change in PIN as accepted by us. Such notification transaction alert will be sent by short message service (SMS) and/or electronic mail to your last known contact number and/or electronic mail as provided to us (as the case may be) and shall be deemed to be sent on the date of transmission notwithstanding the fact that the same may not be actually received by you. Where you have opted to receive transaction notification alerts from the Bank by SMS and/or electronic mail, you should provide a complete and accurate mobile phone number and/or electronic mail address (as the case may be) to us.
We shall not be liable in any way whatsoever to you or to any other party for any loss or damage in the event that such transaction notification alert is received by a third party. It is your responsibility to monitor your card account transactions (which shall include enabling transaction notification alerts on any device used to receive transaction notification alerts from HSBC and opting to receive all transaction notification alerts for all outgoing transactions of any amount made from your card account) including without limitation any suspicious or omitted transactions.
Protection from Scam
To protect yourself from scam, please do not disclose your personal particulars and banking information/credentials (inclusive of OTP) to any alert or request that is not initiated by you.
Please inform us immediately to verify the authenticity of such requests, or for any suspected fraud.
Change of personal particulars
The magnetic stripe on your credit card is disabled to prevent unauthorised transactions. The EMV chip on your credit card remains active for local and overseas transactions.
However, it is worth noting that there may be overseas merchants (in countries/regions such as Japan and Korea and USA) which may use magnetic stripe readers at their point-of-sale terminals.
To activate the magnetic stripe on your credit card, please call 1800 227 6868.
Security of cards and PINs
You shall at all times ensure that cards and any record of PINs or any password, code or other arrangement that may be required to authenticate any payment transaction or cardholder (each, an “Access Code”) are not misused, disclosed, lost or stolen. You must:
- sign your card as soon as you receive it;
- not record any Access Code on your card or on any article normally carried with your card and/or which is liable to loss or theft with your card, or keep a record of any Access Code in a way that allows any third party to easily misuse the Access Code;
- if you keep a record of any Access Code, take all reasonable care and precaution to secure the record, including keeping the record:
- in a secure electronic or physical location accessible or known only to you; and
- in a place where the record is unlikely to be found by a third party;
- not permit any other person to use your card;
- not disclose any Access Code or make it available to any other person (including a family member or one of our staff );
- use care to prevent anyone else from seeing any Access Code being entered in a terminal; and
- observe such security tips as we may notify from time to time.