Never miss out on an investment opportunity
Find out what you need to do to open a securities financing facility.
Why apply for securities financing?
- Immediate access to fundsYour financing facility is a convenient, cost-effective option that gives you financial flexibility. It gives you access to cash, which you can use to purchase additional investments, without having to sell any of your existing investments to raise funds. Minimum facility limits start at S$10,000 (or equivalent foreign currency).
- Only pay interest on what you useYou'll only incur interest on the amount used, and interest is calculated on a daily basis.
- Available in major currenciesThe facility is available in SGD, USD, EUR and AUD to suit your personal investment needs.
- Flexible financeThere's no service fee or minimum monthly repayment required. Plus you can increase or decrease your limits easily by filling in a Customer Instruction Form.
How it works
Securities financing is a type of secured borrowing facility in which you use your existing investment assets as security. You can borrow up to a maximum percentage of the value of the assets held in your portfolio, so long as they are acceptable to us to be used as security. This percentage varies depending on the asset as follows:
- Risk rating 1: borrow up to 70%
- Risk rating 2 or 3: borrow up to 60%
- Risk rating 4 or 5: borrow up to 50%
- Risk rating 1-3: borrow up to 60%
- Risk rating 4 or 5: borrow up to 30%
Borrow up to 50%
For a full list of acceptable shares, unit trusts, notes and bonds (excluding high yield bonds) that you can use as security, please check with your Relationship Manager.
What it costs
- Premier: VLR + 0.95% p.a.
- Jade: VLR + 0.75% p.a.
The variable lending rate (VLR) is set on a daily basis and is determined by a list of factors including costs of borrowing, internal business costs and market conditions. Speak to your Relationship Manager for the prevailing rates, which are subject to change.
Fees and charges
- The minimum interest charge is S$10 per month (or equivalent currency of your facility). This is payable only if you use your facility.
- If you go over your facility limit, you'll be charged interest on the excess amount at a rate of VLR + 2%.
There is no minimum monthly repayment required. You can repay any amount at any time, or on demand.
Things to know
- The securities in your securities financing investment account will be used as collateral for the loan. A decline in the value of the securities may result in your outstanding balance exceeding the facility limit. As a result, we may seek additional funds from you, charge additional eligible securities, or sell securities to maintain the applicable margin ratio. If we're forced to sell any securities in your account, it will be done immediately, without prior notice or consent from you.
- This facility is uncommitted and we may need to cancel, review or alter the terms of the facility at any time, without prior notice. If we need to close the facility, all money under the facility needs to be repaid in full, on demand.
To apply for securities financing, you must be:
- an HSBC Premier or HSBC Jade customer
- between 21 and 65 years old
- a resident of Singapore, or another eligible country. Please check with us for up-to-date residency criteria.
How to apply
You might be interested in
Get access to cash or any short-term cashflow secured against your investment portfolio with this standby overdraft facility.